Thursday, January 3, 2008

Tagged!

I was tagged by Danni, so here goes...

1) Most memorable moment on the trails:

Swan Crest 57k was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. I wasn't prepared for it, suffered for most of it with nausea and muscle cramps, and reached a moment where I really thought I'd need to be rescued by helicopter. That was a section called "Six Mile Mountain," a difficult uphill somewhere around mile 20. We were supposed to reach the top, grab a token that proved we were there, and head back down to complete the course. I could see the top, but had nothing left. I actually tried to sit beneath a tiny bush, hoping for some shade and motivation. Danni was waiting patiently at the top, so I decided to give it a go. Each step was horrible, but I made it. When life gets tough, I still think about that moment and my decision to continue. It was a huge life lesson.

2) Best new trail in 2007:

I love most trails, so it's hard to pick just one. My choice will come as a surprise to those who know how much I disliked living in Great Falls. At the end of the South side of the River's Edge Trail, there is a single track trail that runs to Cochrane Dam. Be prepared with lots of fluid and sunscreen because there is absolutely no shade. Despite that, it's a nice rolling trail with beautiful views of the prairie and the river. Plus, it was my sanctuary during a really difficult time. 

3) Best Performance:

I was happy I finished the Missoula half marathon with friends. I hadn't been running much prior to that race for several reasons, just one being the extreme wind in Great Falls. I am NOT joking. 

4) I do not know how I survived without...

YakTrax! Seriously, I would have loved these growing up in North Dakota!

5) The person I would most like to meet on a trail in 2008...

Actually, I'm selfishly hoping to meet ME on the trail in 2008. With a nagging heel injury, I worry I won't see the trail at all. Wish me luck!

I would try to tag another person, but most of the people I know don't blog, and those who do have pleaded for no more tag games. Sorry!




No comments: