Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Running again!

After several weeks off, I finally started running again. Sunday and Monday were runs along a very snow packed trail. Monday was most beautiful! I did a headlamp run at dusk during a perfect snowfall. I found myself laughing at several points because of how ridiculous I must have looked trying to "run" gracefully through 6 inches of snow. It's a great workout though and I'm hoping the uneven terrain will strengthen my ankles and knees. I didn't figure out mileage either day, just ran for 45 minutes. My heel felt fine during and after the run. The only time it seems to hurt now is when I ice it. I think I'll discontinue that process and see what happens. I'm just very happy to be back out there!

For those who have asked...I AM enjoying my new job. My co-workers are great, very humorous and fun, even while being dedicated to a truly difficult profession. Many people have asked why I would return to this type of work - especially "since I'm licensed." I find that slightly irritating and a bit funny at the same time. I guess I have several responses which include:

1) A license is a piece of paper and a number. I don't think it should dictate who I serve.
2) Shouldn't impoverished people also receive quality care?
3) I went to school to become a social worker. It was a choice, partly made because of the social work code of ethics and commitment to service and social justice.
4) It's a system I understand. I may not always agree 100%, but I believe in its purpose and intention.
5) I have an intense fear of waking up one day as a private practice therapist.

I'm smiling as a I write #5. It is directed to those who know me best, who can also laugh at the absurdity of that idea.

5 comments:

Danni said...

Yay yay yay! Social work is, to me, one of the most noble professions and I'm so proud of you for being a do-gooder. I'm also glad you're running again. I will run with you one evening soon -- unless you want to join Leanne and I for a morning pre-work run ;)

Iris said...

Ha! I don't think it's so much being a do-gooder as being selfish and doing something I really enjoy. If I lived in town I would for sure join you and Leanne! Good luck this weekend on your 50k.

Marisa said...

Iris-- #5! Rock on...I wish you didn't live across the country--

Iris said...

Me too Marisa. I miss you!

Unknown said...

I'm beyond jealous of your ability to know exactly what you want to do and make it happen. I can only hope to some day (probably years from now) find a job I truly enjoy doing.

Congratulations on the job and running and everything. I'm itching to run again. Hopefully in a week or two I'll get the okay from my PT.