Sunday, September 28, 2008

I lied - or life is looking up?

This weekend, Steve and I celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary. We tossed around several ideas for celebrating, but on our currently limited budget, we decided to spend the day exploring part of our new home. First, we went to Topper's Cellar, which has a great selection of wine and beer, housed in a very cool building . The welcoming and jovial owner gave us a fun "choosing the correct wine" lesson. Next, we walked the entire downtown area browsing shops -there are definitely some fun ones- and buying a variety of chocolates from The Parrot Confectionery Store. Thanks for the recommendations, Dan! It was a beautiful day - in fact, we are learning that the sun shines brightly here most of the time. Instead of eating out, we went home and used our new, spacious kitchen to make yummy fajitas.

This morning, I tried out my new purchase. I know using the microwave is cheating, but I love poached eggs and wanted a quick way to make them before work. It will work pretty well once I tweak the directions. We identified a perk of living in town - the ability to pick up coffee and a newspaper and be back home lazing around within 10 minutes.

I also met up with Rebecca this afternoon. We attended a performance at the Myrna Loy Center in celebration of Deaf Awareness week. I hadn't been in a room full of people signing since leaving DC, so it was time. Thanks Rebecca for going with me!

On the injury front, I'm slowly getting back to running. I'm sticking to pavement and flat trails and survived a fairly painless 7.5 mile run on Saturday. My hip still is tender, but was not nearly as bad as the pain in the knees and feet post run. I quickly realized that my road shoes (bought a year ago) had too many miles on them. So, once again, I'll be going shoe shopping. That should definitely lift the spirits!

No comments: