Saturday, September 6, 2008

Injury, a DNF and life changes

I decided to run the Swan Crest 57k. I injured my hip in a very stupid way - it was tight, I tripped, heard a pop, decided to keep running. It got worse, I then had to hike back out 10 miles to my first "Did Not Finish." Steve came to get me for an assessment of the situation. No running for 4-6 weeks.

The reasons for both the injury and being sick are very obvious to me now and should have been all along. The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of decision making. As most of you know, my husband and I have lived apart for over a year. We wanted to live in the Flathead, I got a job, he couldn't find a job, and so it went. It has not been easy emotionally, but the impact financially has been a real pain. So, when my car broke down with a cost of almost a couple grand to fix, we really had to think of a "Plan B."

Plan B was to look at other areas of Montana (that we both like - because obviously I will NOT live in Great Falls). Turns out, we both had job offers quickly and the plan was set in motion. But, trying to find a job, finish a job, terminate with clients, find a house, pack the cabin, say good-bye to friends, visit family, AND stay healthy just wasn't going to be easy.

Despite the stress, injury, etc. we are excited and ready for what we hope will be our last move to a place we both really love. More to come later...

Danni and Callie - sorry to take off abruptly. I would have liked to cheer you in, but the pain was pretty much unbearable once the three advil wore off. I hope the run was all you hoped it would be!

6 comments:

Berni said...

Even though you are most likely frustrated with feeling that you are short on your limitations...your comment 'hiked out 10 miles'...are you kidding me????????? You were injured. Your body is so slight - but your grit is so very strong.

I'm excited for our 'tea'

xt4 said...

Good lord. Well that sucks. Also, that's great. Respectively.

Hope you feel better - sounds like an awful injury.

Unknown said...

I can't believe how much I've missed. So many changes.. I can't wait to hear more about it all. Good luck taking it easy... I bet you wish you had a nice quiet hobby like knitting ;)

Danni said...

No worries Iris! I hope you heal up quickly.

Leanne said...

Iris!!! I feel so bad for you. Know that I'm thinking about you lots and lots and wishing you a speedy recovery. No stressin', k? Everything always manages to work out in the end. And all the chaos of today will be so worth it in the long run.

Iris said...

Ahhh...Bernie - thanks for the rally. I'm looking forward to Thursday too.

Chris- no North Face Challenge for me this year. And probably no visit to Wisconsin either with plane tickets being so outrageous. Thanks for posting all about D. She's fabulous and I miss her.

Melissa - we sooo need to talk. How did Frank's b-day bash go? I'll call once moved.

Danni- Awesome job at Swan Crest! You've gotten so strong. I'm very impressed. I think you've got a lot of ultras in you.

Leanne - I see the injury as a way of saying slow down. I'm ok with it. Looking forward to the life changes. Thanks for the recovery wishes though. And have a GREAT trip!!!!