Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Drinking Dilemma

Here's the problem...

This summer, I carried one or two 20 oz. hand held bottles of Heed. If I needed more, I'd use my Fuel Belt two bottle carrier (not the most comfortable) and one hand held. I'd average 20 0z. every 5-6 miles.

Lately, I've been using my Nathan pack, taking only water and Endurolytes if needed. On my recent 12 and 14 mile runs, I drank around 30 oz. Way too little. I'm not sure if I remember to drink more regularly with the hand helds or if Heed just works better for me.

The reason for using the hydration pack is that I'm always on-call and have to take my phone EVERYWHERE. I also tend to explore new trails with no particular time limit. Which means I need some kind of pack to carry phone, water, gels, map, etc. The pack is extremely comfortable, I don't mind using it at all, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to running without Heed.

My question?
Will I eventually adjust to just water? What's your hydration system preference? Especially for those of you who prefer sports drinks over water? I'm looking at one bottle packs that also have storage, but want one with minimal bounce. Any recommendations?

No comments: