Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Return of Buddy!

My parents risked it and took Amtrak out for a weekend visit. They were scheduled to arrive Saturday night, so Steve and I made plans for an afternoon of skiing. Iris on skis was not a pretty site. Actually, I was rarely on my skis. All I did was fall. Big, sloppy, injury risk falls. The last one had me eating snow. I wish I could say that the falls took place on challenging runs. Nope. Most were on easy, groomed slopes. The last straw was on the way to the lodge for a rest when a tree fell over blocking the way. We had to take off the skis, walk around the tree, then attempt to put back on the skis for the rest of the way. I was so tired, I couldn't even get my ski back on. There was a little boy next to me having the same problem, throwing a tantrum, and I desperately wanted to throw one too. So, I said, "Steve, I have to be honest, I am NOT enjoying this." We went back to the lodge, ate some pizza, and Steve headed out to ski while I fell asleep in a huge armchair near the fireplace for 45 minutes. A bomb could have gone off and I wouldn't have known. I didn't realize I was that exhausted.Rejuvenated after my nap, we went out to Mambo Italiano for some good food and wine, then saw a total chick flick, "Definitely, Maybe," waiting for the train.

The next day, we spent some time hiking around our cabin, cooking, and catching up. Monday morning brought a surprise visit from Buddy, the neighborhood dog. I hadn't seen him since late fall when he'd run with me during the afternoons and weekends. Mom happened to look out the window and there he was waiting at my door. After lots of hugs and kisses, he did the expectant "Are we going for a run now?" look. So, Dad and I went for a hike with Buddy playing in the snow the entire way.

That afternoon, we headed into Glacier to hike part of the trail to Sperry Chalet. It was very warm, with well packed snow - no snow shoes required. It was a really good weekend. I hope my parents had as much fun as I did.















1 comment:

Danni said...

Oooh I want to go run to Sperry! How far did you go (i.e. how far is it snowpacked?)

BUDDY!!! I'm so glad you saw him. What a sweetie pie.