Sunday, October 12, 2008

Saturday morning, I got up to assist Rebecca with her 5k to raise money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Team In Training. Steve was supposed to help out too, but unfortunately, he was the recipient of a nasty virus and stayed in bed with fever, body aches and headache. Despite the snow, cold and blustery wind, nine brave souls showed up to support the cause. The YMCA was nice enough to provide a cozy room for pre-race instructions and the post-race awards. Please visit Rebecca's Team in Training site if you'd like to contribute.


Race director showing off fancy technology

Sunday, I woke up to snow and felt like a kid on Christmas morning. I downed some food, dressed in warm layers and my Gore-Tex Salomons, put the truck in 4-wheel drive, and headed to the trails. No one had touched the snow yet, so I blissfully made the first tracks through several inches of new powder. It was tough going, but SO MUCH FUN! Most of the trails were runnable, but it was hard to tell where the trail was in areas, so glad I chose a familiar one. I slid hard on a couple switchbacks, but the pillow of snow protected my bottom. The return trip was cold on the face due to the windchill, one of the things I've got to get used to again. The following are pictures from my adventure. They are fairly dark due to the snowfall. The last picture is of me covered in ice.



1 comment:

Berni said...

I know you don't want to hear this - but that snow looks so beautiful!

I heard that Helena was blanketed...not us over here - still enjoying changing colors...sun...cool days...but sunny!